Sunday, June 22, 2014

It's Sunday and I'm just getting around to writing what should have been written last night.  So, here goes...

Home Sweet Home!  Yes, we made it home as planned but with a little twist.  More on that in a minute.  We started the day in Chattanooga with Breakfast at the Marriott Hotel dining room.  Guess we were too lazy to venture out to find a place.  We met our friends John and Penny in the lobby as scheduled about 9:30 and loaded up and drove out of town,  The engines never sounded better.  It was hard to believe that we had been afflicted with two of the Spark Plug wires popping off the day before.  I did check them again before departure and all appeared to be correct.

The derive out of town was a bit slow due to some traffic and lots of lights.  Once we cleared the area we drove through the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park.  This is a beautiful drive that we highly recommend.  We continued cruising south on Rt. 27 through the towns of Lafayette and Somerset before we reached our turn onto Rt. 140.  Barbara was thrilled by this turn as we shifted from a 4 lane road to a two lane and the trees provided a it of shade from the mid-day heat.

We stopped where 140 crosses Rt 53 for some fuel and a short rest.  Then back on the road and up the hills into Waleska where Rheinhardt College is right along the side of the road.  We've done this drive many times before and it is always beautiful.  Then we headed down hill to Canton where we came to a full stop - one of the few - at the light in front of the Texaco where we often meet folks heading north.  When we stopped, the engine didn't sound right.  I started off and knew that something was definitely wrong.  And, it was as the engine died a block or so away.  Fortunately, we were in front of a restaurant parking lot and Penny used her skills to stop traffic and John and I along with a guy from the restaurant parking lot pushed the car into the lot.  Barbara sat behind the wheel and made sure we didn't hit anything along the way.

We did some checking but didn't find anything wrong.  It would start but sounded terrible and would die again if left to idle.  So, I took the wheel with it running and dove across the lot to some shade.  At this point we were ready for a break and headed into Williamson's BarBQ for lunch.  When we came out the engine still sounded terrible so I called AAA and when we knew they were heading our way, John and Penny headed home.  The driver arrived, quickly loaded us up and off we went.  An interesting side bar is that the driver had delivered an MGA to Barry's garage on Friday, the day before.

We arrived home about 5:00 and settled in for a quiet evening to catch up with the world out there.

All is well today and I'll face the Midget tomorrow to figure out the issue.  It may be something as simple as bad fuel that we picked up at Rt 53 or a fouled spark plug.  Time and some investigation will tell all.

Now we are on to the next adventure.....

1 comment:

  1. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but typically people don't speak about these issues. To the next! Best wishes!! craigslist baltimore